MBChB (UCT), DA(SA), FC Orth(SA)
Areas of interest
- Hip Joint Replacement Surgery (Primary)
- Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement (DAA)
- Revision Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
- Posterior Approach Hip Replacement
- Knee Joint Replacement Surgery (Primary and Revisions)
- Unicompartmental Knee Replacement, Patellofemoral Joint Replacement
- Knee Surgery including ACL/PCL/Meniscal Surgery
- Shoulder Replacements - Anatomical and Reverse
- Shoulder Surgery - Arthroscopic and open, including Cuff repairs/Stabilisation procedures/Labral repair
- Ankle Surgery - Arthroscopic including Cartilage Debridement/Cartilage Grafts/Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
- Osteoarthritis of Hip and Knee.
- Orthopaedics Sports Injuries
- Hand and Foot injuries
- Carpal Tunnel Decompressions/Dupuytrens Contracture Release
Mark is an Orthopaedic Surgeon who has been practicing in Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand since 2006.
His primary speciality involves procedures around the Hip, Knee and Shoulder.
Hips - Surgical procedures offered include the latest techniques in open hip surgery. These include the treatment of trochanteric bursitis, gluteal tendon tears and Direct Anterior muscle sparing hip replacements (DAA), as well as hip revision surgery utilising the posterior approach.
Knees - Mark regularly performs anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions utilising the Quadriceps graft as well as undertaking treatment and surgery for multi-ligament knee injuries. He performs partial and full knee replacements including the Oxford Uni Knee and Patellofemoral replacements. He does revision knee replacement surgery when required.
Shoulders - Key hole shoulder surgery is regularly undertaken to stabilise dislocating shoulders and fix torn rotator cuff. Mark also performs anatomical and reverse shoulder replacement surgery.
He covers most other aspects of Orthopaedic practice as well including Elbow, Hand, Foot and Ankle surgery. He has a special interest in Sports Orthopaedics and competes himself in numerous multisports events like the Coast to Coast, Pioneer MTB and Round Taupo cycle race.
Mark initially trained and specialized in Orthopaedic Surgery in South Africa. He then worked as a fellow under expert hip and knee surgeons in the UK's leading joint replacement units in Norwich and Bristol. Here he super-specialized in Hip and Knee replacements and complex Knee ligament surgery before coming to New Zealand.
He practices at Aorangi Surgical Group and operates at Bidwill Trust Hospital. He is also employed by the South Canterbury District Health Board at Timaru Hospital.
Southern Cross Affiliated Provider for
- Carpal Tunnel Release
- Primary Total Hip Joint Replacement
- Primary Total Knee Joint Replacement
- NZOA – New Zealand Orthopaedic Association NZOA Specialty Society Memberships
- Knee & Sports Surgery
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Foot & Ankle
- SAOA - South African Orthopaedic Association
- AANA - Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Medical Council of New Zealand
- MBChB (UCT) -1994 DA(SA) -1996
- FC Orth(SA)-2004
- 2005 - Fellowship in Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, UK
- 2005 - Adult Joint Reconstruction Fellowship, Bristol Orthopaedic Division, UK
- Fellow of the New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
Listed below are some of the more recent conferences Mark has attended:
- 6th Annual Shoulder Symposium, cadaver course - 2013
- The AANA Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery cadaver course, Chicago – 2014
- The AAOS Hip and Knee Arthroplasty meeting – Hawaii 2014
- ICJR 4th Annual Shoulder course – Las Vegas – 2015
- The AANA Arthroscopic Ankle course, Chicago - 2015
- LMT Foot and Ankle Scientific Meeting, Fiji 2016
- The AANA Master Shoulder Shoulder course, Chicago 2016
- Combine Knee Society Meeting, Cairns 2016
- Metcalf/AANA Arthroscopic Surgery – Snowbird, Utah 2017
- KneEvolution, Sydney 2017
- 19Th Annual AAOS/AOSSM/AANA Sports Med – Utah 2018
- The AANA Advanced Knee Ligament, Meniscus and Articular Cartilage, Chicago 2018
- The AANA Shoulder solutions for Bone Loss, Rotator Cuff repair with Superior Capsular Reconstruction and Orthbiologics, Chicago October 2019
- NZOA Hip/Shoulder and Knee courses 2021
Information on the Conferences attended:
The Arthroscopy Assocation of North Americas (AANA) Current Concepts in Knee Ligament Procedures, which is an advanced cadaver based knee ligament reconstruction course where the participants learn surgical techniques of ACL, PCL, posterolateral, posteromedial reconstruction, and how to address the multiple ligament injured knee. Concomitant pathology including meniscus, articular cartilage, extensor mechanism, and malalignment often accompanies these severe ligament injuries. The goal of this advanced knee ligament course provides the participant the skills to treat complex knee ligament instabilities and related injuries. Mark is now using cutting edge knee reconstruction techniques including quadriceps graft for ACL and PCL reconstruction.
The American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Hip and Knee Arthroplasty meeting, where the participant can focus on new developments in Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery. Most of his current Knee Replacements are done using an MRI-based custom cutting blocks system that allows extremely accurate positioning of the implants. He is also able to offer patients Unicompartmental Knee Replacements and Patellofemoral Joint Replacements where indicated.
The AANA Master Shoulder course as well as their Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery course. These both include learning about the latest arthroscopic shoulder surgical techniques with combination of lecture and hands-on lab experience, one-on-one with some of the USA’s top arthroscopic surgeons. The focus of both courses is on keyhole surgery of the shoulder including Rotator Cuff and Instability Repairs. The arthroscopic approach is now recognized as the gold standard and he is happy to offer this to his patients.
The ICJR Shoulder Replacement course, which is a cadaver based learning centre course on Total and Reverse Shoulder Replacements. For those patients who are over 70 years of age with painful full thickness retracted rotator cuff tears who were previously not offered cuff repairs due to poor tendon tissue quality, evidence now shows that they can achieve good function and pain relief with a Reverse Shoulder Replacement which he now offers to patients as an option.
The AANA Arthroscopic Ankle course where the participant can learn many new cutting edge techniques in this rapidly changing and developing field amongst others Arthoscopic Ankle Fusion and cartilage reconstructive surgery.
Orthopaedics / Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgeons / Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement (DAA) / Hip Knee and Shoulder Surgeon / DAA Surgeon
Orthopaedic surgery is concerned with treating conditions involving the musculoskeletal system, which is made up of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles. Orthopaedic surgeons use both surgical and non-surgical methods to treat a wide range of problems, including trauma (injury), sports injuries, degenerative diseases (e.g. arthritis), infections, tumours and congenital disorders (those present at birth). Various procedures to treat the knee, shoulder and hip are among the most commonly performed surgery. Hip and Knee Joint Replacement Surgery (Primary and Revisions) including Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement (DAA), and Posterior Approach Hip Replacement, Anterior Hip Replacement Surgeon, Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement Timaru, DAA, DAA surgeon, Unicompartmental Knee Replacement, Patellofemoral Joint Replacement, Knee Surgery including ACL/PCL/Meniscal Surgery, Shoulder Replacements - Anatomical and Reverse, Shoulder Surgery - Arthroscopic and open, including Cuff repairs/Stabilisation procedures/Labral repair, Ankle Surgery - Arthroscopic including Cartilage Debridement/Cartilage Grafts/Ankle Ligament Reconstruction, Osteoarthritis of Hip and Knee, Orthopaedics Sports Injuries, Hand and Foot injuries, Carpal Tunnel Decompressions/Dupuytrens Contracture Release